Tuesday, February 12, 2013

12-2012 2013 Ford CMax - Attempts to fix Remote Start Fail

About the 13th of December, I suddenly realized that the Ford Dealership never called me to bring in my 2013 Ford CMax to have the remote start feature fixed.  If you recall, I had stopped in back in November to ask them to show me how to make it work without having the alarm system go off, and they were unable to get it to work either.  At that time, I was informed that a software patch of some kind was coming and that they would fix it for me.  Having heard nothing for several weeks, I decided to call the dealership and ask.

I was told by the service guy that there was no software patch; the fix required replacement of a hardware module of some type.  They told me they would order one and I could come in the following Monday (December 17th, 2012) at noon to have it replaced.  I said I would do so.

Monday came and I arrived at the dealership just before noon for my appointment.  When I arrived, I was greeted by the service guy, but he informed me that the only 2 people who had any training at all on this had both called in sick.  I was shocked that he hadn't called me to let me know so I could have avoided the trip, but he assured me someone would be in the next day at noon, and my car would be fixed then.  I headed back to work, having wasted my lunch hour.

On Tuesday, December 18th, I drove to the dealership again, and arrived shortly before noon.  I was informed that there was one technician who knew how to work on this problem in the shop, but he was just about to start on another car with the same issue.  I argued that they had promised to work on my car, and in fact had promised to do it the previous day, so the service guy went off to call the other customer to see if they could wait a day.  Fortunately for me, the other customer was in no hurry, so they started working on my car.  I was asked if I wanted a rental car, but since they told me it would only be 2 hours, I said I would wait.

Two and a half hours later, the service guy came to tell me they were still having problems with incorrect signal codes, and that they had contacted Ford for a solution.  I asked how long they thought it would be, and he wasn't sure, so I said I would wait another half hour, but if there was still no solution I would accept a rental car for the night.

A half hour later, they were still having troubles with it, and when I asked why this was such a problem, he told me that the car was so new that his people just weren't familiar enough with it.  I had mixed feelings about that since I believe if you sell something, you should also know how to fix it.  On the other hand, I felt bad for the technicians because it appeared they were not receiving the training they needed in a timely fashion.  I mentioned this last part to the service guy, and he also was frustrated by it.  He arranged for a rental car, and told me they would probably have it resolved in the morning.

Wednesday, December 19th, I called to ask about my car, and they told me it still wasn't working completely, and that they had ordered a new part.  It should be fixed and I should have my car back by the next day.

On the 20th, I was informed that it still did not work, and that they were ordering a complete new kit for the car, but it would not be in until after Christmas, so they were putting my car back together for me so I could drive it until the part arrived.

In my opinion, this had been the second attempt to fix this issue (the first was when I brought it in originally, or you can think of the first attempt as being the first day they had my car and were unable to fix it).  Regardless, I'm counting two attempts to fix a single problem at this point.  More frustration!

I drive my car back home, look in the back, and things were still somewhat disassembled.  The battery was completely exposed, and the trunk area pieces had not been reinstalled.  Careless, in my opinion.  I put things back together as they should have been and decided to just try to enjoy the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment